Tuesday, February 4, 2014

RootsTech Day "Minus Two"

RootsTech Day "Minus Two"

Arrived today in Salt Lake City two days prior to the start of RootsTech.   Flight was actually about 10 minutes early arriving, I had not checked any bags so went directly to the TRAX (Salt Lake City Transit) station, purchased a ticket for $1.25, boarded the train and it departed about 4 or 5 minutes later.  It took about 20 minutes to get into town and I only had about a 5 minute walk to the hotel from the transit stop.  Checked in, had lunch and was in the Salt Lake City Family History Library (FHL) doing research 2 hours after landing.  Was a little chilly, as temp was in the low 30s; but not too bad.  We had a few flurries of snow; but it soon quit.

I spent about 4.5 hours at the library and then headed out for some dinner with my  roommate, who arrived at the library a couple hours after I did, as he had a later flight. I spent the whole time on the top floor where the books for the U.S. and Canada are located.  I picked up a few facts that were helpful; but no major breakthroughs.   Tomorrow I will focus on microfilm, which I find a bit more tedious.  However, I think my prospects for finding some very useful information are very good, so that will keep me motivated.  

I did decide that I need to revise my Research Log form, as I don't have enough room to adequately describe the results of my research for each document.  Since there is no way I am going to later remember what I was looking for and the results; it makes sense to leave lots of room for a description of what I searched and the results.

I have been to the FHL three times before and was amazed at the large number of people on every floor of the library.  Almost all of the computers were occupied as well as the open desks and I am guessing the majority of RootsTech attendees haven't even arrived yet.  Tomorrow will probably be even more crowded at the library.

Well I need to sign off so I can double check my iPad to make sure I have made selections for all of the presentation segments on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  There are so many choices that you really need to study the topics and presenters to make an educated selection. Even doing that, I am sure I am going to miss some great presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment