Monday, June 3, 2013

Planning for Southern California Genealogical Society's Jamboree"

Three days ago I discussed my process for selecting sessions to attend at Jamboree.  Today, I am discussion a couple more aspects of Jamboree.  Last year I joined in with other San Diego Genealogical Society members and took the train up to Burbank on Friday morning, which gets there in time for the afternoon sessions, beginning at 1:30 p.m.  This year, due to my hip replacement surgery three weeks ago, I am riding up with a friend.  This way I hope to cut back on the amount of walking I will have to do. 

Jamboree 2013 Home Page
I just learned they are looking for help with one of the morning (10:45 to noon) "Genealogy World Roundtable Discussion" sessions on the topic of Computers.  With such a broad topic, I shouldn't have any problem stimulating the group to speak up and participate.  I will put together a short introduction and a couple of leading questions to get the group started and I am sure the remainder will take care of itself.  Should be fun!

I have requested early check-in from the hotel; but with the majority of Jamboree attendees also arriving Friday morning, that isn't assured.  If not, they will check our luggage; so not a problem.

Exhibit Hall
For the Friday afternoon segment I have selected the following sessions to attend:
1:30 to 2:30:  FR006 Philipp Mayer "Organization and Presentation is Everything".  I can always improve on the organization of my research and the data. Thomas Kemp is presenting at the same time; but I attended the same presentation last year.  He is one of the best every year,so if you haven't heard him before--I strongly suggest attending his presentation.

3:00 to 4:00: FR014 Daniel Horowitz "MyHeritage-The Ultimate Genealogy SuperSearch Engine".  We had Daniel speak to the San Diego Computer Genealogy Society about three years ago and he is very good.  Additionally, MyHeritage is really doing some exciting things with their Family Tree Builder program; which I blogged about on the 22nd and 25th of last month.  I really hate to miss Joshua Taylor; but will be hearing him at the dinner on Saturday night.  I will probably also purchase the CD of his presentation (FR018).

4:30 to 6:00:  This cuts a little into Happy Hour; but that can wait as genealogy takes priority today!  FR022 CeCe Moore, Alice Fairhurst, Ken Chanine, Joanne Mountain and Bennett Greenspan "Hear It From the Experts on DNA".  My budget includes some additional DNA testing and I hope this session will help me decide which test to take.  This is a real Who's Who of Genealogy experts!
I am planning to purchase the test at the conference because the companies are usually offering special discounts for attendees.

Bennett Greenspan & Family Tree DNA Exhibit

My roommate and I will probably enjoy dinner in the Hotel Restaurant this evening, then retire to the room to look at all the "goodies" we collected in the exhibit hall during the breaks and finalize plans for the Saturday sessions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment