Friday, June 7, 2013

Jamboree First Day




Today was my first day at the Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree at the Burbank Marriott Conference Center.  We had an unusually easy drive up, making it in two hours from Northern San Diego and there was no traffic.  I was the moderator for the "Computers in Genealogy" session at the World Roundtable Discussion from 10:45 a.m. to noon.  We had a great group of people and I think it was fun and informative for everyone.   If the group didn't learn anything, at least they made me feel like they did!  Following are a few photos of the Convention Center and associated activities.
Marriott Convention Center

Lunch Line
I attended every one of the three sessions this afternoon.  Fortunately, in the first session I realized that it wasn't at all what I expected, so after about five minutes, I slipped out and went into another presentation more in line with my interest.  In between sessions I took advantage of the 30 minutes to wander and see what the vendors in the exhibit hall had to offer.  

Family Tree DNA Booth
Legacy Booth














Ancestry/Family Tree Maker Booth

I talked with a Family Tree Maker representative and gave him a couple suggestions of changes I though would improve their "Data Error Report" and he seemed to be interested and to take down the details.  Will check in a few months to see if anything happens. 

Now that I have attended Jamboree for about 7 or 8 years, I find that I don't have those "ah ha" moments as often in the presentations as when I first started coming.  I still enjoy coming and feel I learn something at most of the sessions; but those exciting moments or learning something that I though was going to really have a big impact on my research are much more infrequent.  I like to think that is because I know more now about  the topics and genealogy in general.

Tomorrow will be a full day of about 7 sessions and an evening Banquet with speaker, so I fully anticipate going into "overload" tomorrow afternoon.  










No comments:

Post a Comment