Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Exploring a New Blog Host Site and Photos of Historic Swiss Castle

Today I have been looking at the web site "WordPress" as a new host for my blog.  There are a lot of nice things about Google Blogger, the best being that it is free!  However, I would like to include more media and Blogger is pretty limited in handling photos and media.  During last weekend's Jamboree, I attended one session that was all about blogging.  I asked about this problem and the web site "WordPress" was suggested by a couple of the Blogger Summit panelists.  I have been exploring it and will probably switch over to it this weekend.  One of the blogger summit panelists, Judy Russell--The Legal Genealogist (http://www.legalgenealogist.com), said she wasn't very technical; but found it easy to use.  So far it hasn't seemed that easy; but I think I just found a breakthrough that seems to have cleared up the problems I was facing.  

Before I make the final decision to switch, I want to play around with the site a little more, in particular with managing photos, to confirm that it is better than Blogger.  

Hopefully, I will be convinced to switch by tomorrow.  Then for a couple days I will announce the URL address of the new site, so that the followers I have developed so far will know where to find me.  I also need to become more familiar with the process of transferring all my past blogs from Blogger to the new site.  For a couple days I will probably post the blog on both sites to assist people with the transition.   

If any of you have experience with WordPress or other blog hosting sites, I would appreciate and comments or suggestions you might have.  

Since I have to get back to exploring WordPress, I will close with a couple photos of beautiful Switzerland and the Oberhofen Castle where Ritschhart ancestors were bailiffs for three generations in the early 1600s.  

The Castle from Lake Thun

The Armory


Ironically,  the Castle was purchased in 1926 by an American lawyer, William Maul Measey, from Philadelphia.  "Mr. Measey restored many parts of the castle, with special attention to the grounds and gardens.  In 1940 he transferred the castle administration to the canton of Bern.  Since 1952 it has been under the care and control of the Bernese Historical Museum." (Richhart, Ritchhart, Ritschard--A Swiss-German Family From 1500 Until 1993 by Bettye Anderson Richhart) 
The Sitting Room

 caption
The Panel Room


The Castle Gardens in October




No comments:

Post a Comment