Sunday, June 30, 2013

Don't Try This Unless Under Professional Supervision!--Buy a New iPad

One I got a little yard work done yesterday, wrote my blog and took my desktop to my compute repair people, it was off to buy our first tablet computer--an iPad.  Little did I know that the remainder of my day would be a mini-crisis!

After comparing prices at Best Buy, I went to Miramar Marine Corps Air Station Base Exchange, where the iPad 4 was $10 less in price plus a $50 savings because of no tax.  I headed home and at about 2:30 p.m. started setting up the iPad.  First was to set up the wi-fi so I could use my home wi-fi net.  I had my laptop running on it so I knew it was functioning properly.  However, despite repeatedly putting in the password (Net Key) it wouldn't work.  In fact it got to the point it kept searching for a connection and would not allow me to type in the password.  I tried turning it off, recycling the power to the router; but nothing would stop the pad from constantly searching for the wi-fi connection.

Finally, at about 4 p.m., I looked up the number on the internet for Apple support and gave them a call.  I got a person from India, where I think all computer tech support is based today.  He couldn't fix the problem right away so he said let's hook up the iPad through your computer, I will take control of your computer and analyze the problem.  Sounded logical.  He then ran a comprehensive test program on my computer and determined that I had 113 Registry Errors (125 and above was supposedly critical), the browser needed to be optimized, several services were stopped and needed to be started, the IP address was corrupted, and several other problems.  He said that although my iPad would normally operate independent of the laptop, the fact it was on the same corrupted network was the problem.    Since I had just taken my desktop in that morning with problems I suspected were the result of viruses and other contamination, I wasn't surprised that my laptop also had the same problem.  However, I still couldn't comprehend why these problems would have any impact on my iPad making a wi-fi connection.  He finally convinced me that for $150, he would solve all the problems, get the iPad working and I would have a one year guarantee on any computer, printer, or iPad problems.

I finally decided that rather than waiting until my desktop was finished being repaired and then taking in the laptop and loosing it for about a week, I would pay the price and get it all fixed.  He than connected me with their finance dept to make the payment.  That is when I learned that the payment was to be made to "iYogi". I inquired further and learned that I wasn't dealing with Apple at all, this was an internet company that does computer repair.  I had mistakenly called them thinking it was Apple.  I know to always check the URL to make sure it says "Apple" or the name of your company of concern; but somehow I failed to do it.  When I balked the agent took me to the BBB Site and they did have an "A" rating; but I wasn't happy that they had let me think I was talking with Apple.  Without dragging this out any longer than I already have, I ended up getting passed to the technician who was going to solve my problem. After quite some time he finally solved the problem with the iPad, which he said was a software problem with the new iPad.  However, he didn't say anything about the 113 registry problems and myriad of other problems with my corrupted laptop.  When I asked he, he said I didn't say anything about those problems when I was passed on to him.  I explained that was his predecessor's  fault not mine.  He agreed and, after some haggling and being passed back to a financial person, they agreed to drop all charges for the service.  The time was now--8 p.m.!  I had about a 20 min break while he worked on the iPad, during which time I had dinner.  I later checked the rating of  iYogi with the PC Magazine web site.  They had 3 or 5 stars and were rated reasonably priced; but technically about average.

The iPad now works fine and I set up my e-mail and several apps this morning; but I lost a whole afternoon and had to go through a lot of agony yesterday to achieve that.  I probably should have driven the 30 minutes to an Apple store and solved the problem in minutes; but if I had gone there and it logged in fine on their
wi-fi, I still wouldn't have been assured it would work on my wi-fi at home?  The moral of the story once again--always be sure and check the URL when you select a web site and contact them for a purchase or help!  A lesson RE-LEARNED the hard way!

No comments:

Post a Comment